- What is the difference between AutoTap Diagnostic and AutoTap Express DIY?
- Includes instructions on every screen so that you don't have to learn it all over again every time you take it out of the box.
- Adds a Diagnostic Wizard that guides you through diagnosing the most common problems. The parameters used in the guides are automatically shown with no configuration. There are also examples of what the parameters should look like on a graph.
- Will AutoTap Express DIY work with my vehicle?
- Does AutoTap Express DIY require connection to a computer to operate?
- What are the minimum computer requirements to use the AutoTap Express DIY software?
- Does AutoTap Express DIY work on cars older than 1996?
- What versions of the AutoTap hardware are compatible with the AutoTap Express DIY software?
- Will my registration for AutoTap Diagnostic software work with the AutoTap Express DIY software?
- What is OBDII?
OBD stands for On Board Diagnostics. The “II” signifies the version of the OBD specification being used. OBD’s roots go all the way back to early 1970’s. In order to combat smog problems in LA, the EPA started requiring car manufacturers to provide emission control systems on the vehicles they manufactured. In 1988 a set of standards was developed by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) including a standard connector plug and set of diagnostic test signals. This was OBDI.
OBD II is a more sophisticated standard that was introduced in the mid-'90s. It monitors parts of the chassis, body and accessory devices, as well as the diagnostic control network of the car. On-Board Diagnostic systems are in all 1996 and newer cars and light trucks.
- Where is the connector? What does it look like?
- Can AutoTap reprogram my car?
- Can AutoTap communicate with the ABS or Airbag (SIR) systems?
- Does AutoTap control relays and solenoids?
We assume that the typical DIYer doesn't have time to go out and do a lot of reading on every system in his car. Rather than keep adding more and more data, configurable in more and more ways, we went to mechanic shops to find out what typically goes wrong with cars today and what can be fixed in a driveway.
Then we put together a tool that:
Here’s a quick comparison table of AutoTap Diagnostic vs. Express DIY:
|AutoTap Diagnostic||AutoTap Express DIY|
|Primary Customer||Performance Enthusiast||Do-It-Yourself Repair|
|Emphasis||Cool Display, gauges, as much data as possible||Simple to use, guide through diagnosis of problems, automatic display of needed parameters|
|Real time data||Yes||Yes|
|Gauges (Virtual Dashboard)||Yes||No|
|Good foreign vehicle support||No||Yes|
|Diesel Support||Yes, but some connections don't work||Yes, but minimal value at this time|
|Instructions on every screen||No||Yes|
All 1996 and newer OBDII compliant vehicles are supported. You can determine if a vehicle is OBDII compliant by checking the emission compliance sticker either under the hood or on the drivers door pillar.
Yes, AutoTap requires a live operating system from either a Windows platform laptop or netbook computer to retrieve vehicle data.
Any PC with a Pentium 1GHz processor (or equivalent) running Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) will run AutoTap software. At least 1GB RAM is recommended, and 250 MB of hard drive space is required. A CD drive is required to install the software and a USB port is needed to connect to the AutoTap hardware. AutoTap is not available for Mac.
No. AutoTap works only on 1996 and newer vehicles.
Our v3 AutoTap hardware (red units with the vehicle connector built into the hardware) will support this software. These are AutoTap models ATU and ATS, and the Express DIY software can be added to these products.
No. This is a separate software product and is not an update to the AutoTap Diagnostic Scan Tool software.
The OBDII connector is most frequently located on the driver’s side at the bottom of the dash.
The pins are used in the following way:
Pin 2 - J1850 Bus+
Pin 4 - Chassis Ground
Pin 5 - Signal Ground
Pin 6 - CAN High (J-2284)
Pin 7 - ISO 9141-2 K Line and ISO/ DIS 14230-4
Pin 10 - J1850 Bus
Pin 14 - CAN Low (J-2284)
Pin 15 - ISO 9141-2 L Line and ISO/ DIS 14230-4
Pin 16 - Battery Power
If your connector has extra pins, don’t worry. Manufacturers can use them as they see fit.
AutoTap is a diagnostic scantool and does not reprogram the factory settings of your vehicle.
No. AutoTap supports only the powertrain systems.
No. AutoTap does not perform this type of bi-directional operation.
AutoTap Express DIY Software and Downloads
AutoTap Diagnostic Software and Downloads
- AutoTap Diagnostic v3.1 - Windows software for the AutoTap Scan Tool
- AutoTap Diagnostic v2.05 - Windows software for v1 hardware
- Windows Software - To be used with v2.05 software for Ford 7.3L Powerstroke vehicles
- ATUSB Drivers - **Please note: Install the drivers before connecting the hardware to the PC
- AutoTap for Windows Manual
- AutoTap Quick Start Guide
AutoTap Reader v1.0
- Autotap Reader v1.0 - Autotap Reader is an entry-level diagnostic tool. The Autotap Reader will read diagnostic trouble codes and determine if your vehicle will pass the EPA mandated emissions test.